MedicAlert® Assistance Program
What is the purpose of this program?
NORD’s MedicAlert Assistance Program provides MedicAlert products and services to eligible individuals in the rare disease community. If someone with a rare disease can’t speak for themselves in an emergency, MedicAlert can be their voice in providing important and potentially life-saving information. The program provides eligible individuals with a MedicAlert product and 3-years of membership.
Who is eligible to apply?
This program is designed for those with a rare diagnosis who:
- Are a United States citizen or US resident of six (6) months or greater with evidence of residency such as a utility bill showing the patient’s name and address
- Fall within the program’s financial guidelines and adhere to application requirements that are set in advance by NORD
What is the application process?
- Awards are granted on a first come, first served basis. Patients may be referred to the program by their health care provider, their case managers, or they may self-refer.
- The RareCare® Patient Services Representative will guide the applicant through the application process, verify eligibility for inclusion in the program, determine financial eligibility using our Electronic Income Verification System (EIV) and award assistance
What happens if an applicant does not meet the criteria of the Electronic Income Verification?
The RareCare® Patient Services Representative will offer to e-mail, fax, or mail the brief program application and disclosure forms to the patient. The applicant may then complete the application, sign the disclosure form, provide the appropriate financial documentation to verify financial need, and return them via fax, email, or USPS mail.
How long before a decision is made on an application for assistance?
The application decision process can take as few as 5 minutes over the telephone. Applications completed and submitted via email, fax or US mail will be processed within three (3) business days of receipt. Once approved for assistance in this program, it will be necessary for the applicant to provide detailed information for product engraving and to create a MedicAlert emergency information file.
Why is it important for those with a rare disease to have MedicAlert?
- Rare diagnoses as the name suggests are not well known, or understood. In an emergency, it is critical for first responders to know of your diagnosis and unique needs.
- This information enables those caring for you, to provide appropriate care more quickly.
- In an emergency, MedicAlert can notify your emergency contacts
- Your MedicAlert information expresses your wishes in terms of care and care settings.
- MedicAlert can result in improved outcomes when an emergency occurs.